What is Chiropractic? Here’s the Easy to Understand Answer
Over the next couple of weeks, we are going to review and answer some frequently asked questions that we get in the office. To start, it seemed like a good idea to answer the most basic one: what is chiropractic? Many people think about neck pain, back pain, and headaches when they think of chiropractic. They aren’t wrong in that thinking because chiropractors have had good results with those symptoms, but chiropractic is so much more than that. Chiropractic is very diverse serving patients from children to the elderly with a variety of techniques. Although chiropractic may look different in different offices, there is a simple, unifying philosophy driving a chiropractor to do what he or she does. To make it easy, chiropractic can be explained using the acronym CHIRO:
- Communication: Chiropractic is all about the communication between the brain to the rest of the body. The brain is the most important organ, and the nervous system controls and coordinates all the other systems in the body. When communication is flowing properly between the brain and body, people tend to be healthier and happier.
- Health is an inside out process: Like it was stated, when the nervous system is functioning properly, people have a much better chance at being truly healthy. Chiropractors believe the body has the ability to heal itself from the inside out provided it is given the right conditions. We need to eat well, move well, think well, and get adjusted.
- Interference: Unfortunately, we don’t always give the body the right conditions. The stresses in our life (whether they are physical, mental/emotional, or chemical) can cause interference in the communication between the brain and the rest of the body. Interference is bad and can contribute to many of the aches, pains and dysfunctions that we experience. For example, if there is interference in the nerves going to the digestive system, would it be surprising if things weren’t working well and you had some symptoms?
- Reconnection: Chiropractors use different techniques to analyze the body and locate areas of interference in the nervous system. A chiropractic adjustment is delivered to gently provide a force to the body to reconnect and restore the communication between the brain and rest of the body.
- Optimal function: Chiropractic’s goal is to maximize the function of the nervous system and, thus, the whole body. Chiropractors want patients to feel better, but it is much more important that their bodies are functioning better. A healthy nervous system is vital to good health, and improving nervous system function has helped with symptoms related to pain, digestive issues, colic, balance/vertigo, high blood pressure, and many others.
Ultimately, chiropractic is pretty simple. The brain and rest of the nervous system controls everything else, so why not make sure that it is working properly? If you know anyone having any health issues, then why not make sure the most important system in the body is working well. Call or schedule today to set up a consultation to see if we can help! Also, let us know on social media or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about chiropractic that you’d like us to answer!