5 Facts that You Need to Know About Whiplash
Whiplash is a pretty familiar term, but do you know exactly what it is? Most people imagine a bad car accident when they think of whiplash, but that is not the only way it can happen. Whiplash is a neck injury due to forceful, rapid back-and-forth movement of the neck, like the cracking of a whip. It is estimated that 2 to 3 million new whiplash injuries occur in the United States every year! Car accidents, especially front or rear-end collisions, are a common cause, but falls and contact sports can also lead to whiplash injuries. Symptoms can include:
- Pain when moving your head side to side
- Headaches at the base of the skull
- Difficulty sleeping
- Memory problems
- Tingling or numbness in the arms
5 Facts You Need to Know
- Symptoms of whiplash can often appear weeks or months after an accident: Even if you think it is a “minor” injury, it is important to be checked by an experienced chiropractor.
- In 75% of patients, symptoms of whiplash can last 6 months or longer: The scary thing is that more than 50% of those who have whiplash injuries will still have chronic pain 20 years after the injury if they don’t seek treatment.
- Victims of whiplash lose approximately 8 weeks of work: This loss of productivity and work can be very burdensome financially.
- Most injuries occur when traveling less than 12 mph: Many people brush off “minor” car accidents because they either weren’t traveling very quickly or they didn’t have any aches or pains right after the accident. Researchers at Yale found that accidents at speeds as low as 8 mph create enough forces on the head and neck region to cause significant injury to ligaments, tendons, muscles and nerve tissue.
- Pre-existing health conditions will lead to greater severity of injury and greater pain: A major pre-existing issue that can negatively affect whiplash outcomes is arthritis or degeneration in the neck. It is important to make sure the bones in the spine are well-aligned and moving correctly.
If you, a friend, or a family member have experienced some type of whiplash injury, then we encourage you to schedule an examination with a qualified chiropractor at Radiant Life Chiropractic. We aim to offer the best chiropractic services to Hatboro, Horsham, Warminster, Warrington and surrounding communities. We will find out what is going on with your specific situation-where the spine is injured, how we can help, etc.-and get you moving toward recovery. Call us at 215-259-5100 or book your appointment online!