The 3 T’s of Dis-ease and What to Do About Them
In 1910, D.D. Palmer, the founder of chiropractic, stated that there were three underlying causes of subluxation, or nerve interference. He identified them as the 3 T’s: thoughts, trauma and toxins. Today, these 3 T’s continue to wreak havoc on our bodies and contribute to many of the aches, pains and dysfunctions that we experience.
- Trauma: Trauma as a cause of our issues is easy to understand for most people. Whether it is a major trauma, such as a car accident or slip and fall, or a repetitive microtrauma, such as sitting at a desk for 8 hours, trauma can have a huge impact on both how we feel and function.
- Toxins: Toxins refer to what we put into our bodies. Today’s diet high in sugar, white flour, and genetically-modified organisms doesn’t exactly promote good health. Many things we eat are highly inflammatory to our bodies. Other forms of toxins are environmental toxins such as water pollution and mold.
- Thoughts: Thoughts are what most people tend to ignore. Our highly stressful lifestyle gets us stuck in a sympathetic state. If you remember back to science class, this is the fight-or-flight stress response. When we are constantly in this state, it can alter our hormones and trigger a negative cascade in the body. The stress response can be beneficial in the short term, but chronically being in this state can cause our health to break down and deteriorate.
WHAT CAN WE DO TO COMBAT THE 3 T’S
When it comes to health, most people are looking for the quick fix that doesn’t exist. Unfortunately, to create positive long-term changes, there is no magic diet, no easy exercise regimen, and no simple mental cleanse. The idea of being healthy is not complicated. All you need to do is eat well, move often, and think good thoughts. The action is where it becomes hard.
- Eating well takes discipline and planning. It also requires people to cut through trendy, confusing, and often conflicting information about nutrition. Taking a small step in the right direction is a good, sustainable start and can be built upon moving forward.
- Moving often refers to staying active and exercising. Even consistent, brisk walking is a positive place to start for many people. Another aspect of moving is how our body’s physically move. Chiropractic adjustments can help improve spinal movement and overall posture. Chiropractic is not the only aspect of health, but it is essential because I do not know how you can be truly healthy if your nervous system is not functioning at its optimal level.
- Correcting our thoughts is difficult for some people. Often, we may be active and watch what we eat, but we do not always guard what we allow in our heads. We are constantly being bombarded with new information, and it is important to protect our mindset. Activities like mediation, yoga, deep breathing techniques, etc. can be beneficial for us to unplug, de-stress, and re-center our thoughts.
Our goal is to help transform the health of our Bucks and Montgomery County community without the use of drugs or surgery. If you want to see how your body is functioning or need help achieving your health goals, give us a call to schedule a complimentary consultation!