6 Supplements to Support Heart Health
Several supplements may support heart health when incorporated into a balanced diet and lifestyle. This is not an all-encompassing list of beneficial supplements for heart health, but here are some of the best heart-healthy supplements backed by scientific research:
- Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10): This antioxidant is naturally produced in the body and plays a crucial role in energy production within cells. CoQ10 supplements may help reduce inflammation, lower blood pressure, and improve overall heart health, especially for individuals with heart failure, who are older, who exercise strenuously, or who are taking statin medications.
- Magnesium: Magnesium is involved in hundreds of biochemical reactions in the body, including those related to heart function and blood pressure regulation. Supplementing with magnesium may help lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease. There are many types of magnesium, and most forms have varying benefits. Avoid supplements that are magnesium oxide.
- Omega-3 fatty acids: Found in fatty fish like salmon, mackerel, and sardines, as well as in fish oil supplements, omega-3 fatty acids have been shown to reduce triglycerides, lower blood pressure, and decrease the risk of heart disease. A supplement product must contain EPA and DHA, the necessary omega-3 types for health. Some of the best heart health data comes from the high DHA variety.
- Greens Powders: There’s nothing that beats a freshly homemade green juice from 100% organic produce. Green powder drinks deliver vitamins, minerals and a ton of antioxidants. A 2013 study found powdered greens decreased inflammation and oxidization of LDL (a major cause of blockages) versus placebo. Another study found that total cholesterol and circulation were improved in greens powders users versus placebo.
- Vitamin E: As a powerful antioxidant, Vitamin E helps shield your body from the damage of free radicals and various illnesses including cardiovascular disease. Many large studies have found subjects with higher vitamin E levels are at a lower risk of developing heart disease. It is recommended to supplement between 400 to 800 IU (International Units) per day.
- Berberine: This compound, found in plants like goldenseal and Oregon grape, has been shown to have cholesterol-lowering and blood sugar-lowering effects. Berberine supplements may help improve heart health by reducing LDL cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Dosing can be estimated at 500 mg 2-3 times per day.
Product of the Month: Thorne Heart Healthy Complex
This product blends the benefits of CoQ10 and magnesium while also including Hawthorn, taurine and potassium. The flavonoids in Hawthorn act as antioxidants and provide support for artery function. Hawthorn has also been shown to help maintain already normal blood pressure, heart rate, and exercise capacity. Taurine is an essential nutrient cofactor for cardiac function and rhythm and is the most abundant amino acid in the heart. You can find this product on our store at radiantlife.gethealthy.store.
It’s important to note that while supplements can complement a heart-healthy diet and lifestyle, they are not a substitute for them. It’s always a good idea to consult with a healthcare provider before starting any new supplement regimen, especially if you have underlying health conditions or are taking medications. Additionally, focusing on a varied diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats, along with regular exercise and stress management, is essential for maintaining optimal heart health. If you have any questions, schedule an appointment with our Hatboro chiropractic office. We’d be happy to help you navigate your health journey!